- 1947. The Academy grew out of the National Benedictine Educational Association and was initiated by the American-Cassinese Congregation of monks, 30 December 1947.
- 1948. First meeting of the board of the Academy at St. Meinrad, Indiana. First sectional meetings, which were in a variety of academic disciplines.
- 1950. The Academy began publication of the American Benedictine Review.
- 1972. The governing structure of the Academy was simplified. The sectional structure of the Academy was replaced by a single grouping.
- 1975. The American Benedictine Review was separately incorporated.
- 1978. The focus of meetings shifted from academic fields to “Benedictine Heritage and Culture.”
- 1982. Membership was declared open to anyone who had a serious interest in Benedictinism.
- 1984. The Academy’s archive was established at the St. Benedict’s Monastery, St. Joseph, Minnesota, which became the legal address of the Academy as a not-for-profit corporation.
- 1995. The ABA website was launched on 2 December 1995.
- 1998. The Academy observed its fiftieth anniversary at its biennial convention at St. Vincent’s Archabbey, 9-12 August 1998.
- 2000. First pre-convention web workshop at St. Meinrad’s Archabbey, 8-13 August 2000.
- 2004. First CD publication of ABA convention 2002 Proceedings: “Mentors and Mentoring: Refounding the Tradition.”
- 2012. The Academy elects its first president not a member of a “traditional” Benedictine monastery, Martin Shannon of the ecumenical Community of Jesus.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors of the Academy, elected by the membership, continues to search for ways to fulfill the purpose of the Academy and eagerly listens for input from the members and sponsors.